Search This Blog

Sunday 12 January 2014

Acorn, old canal, 12 Jan (7 pegs)!

Happy New Year all, and I hope all your New Years Resolutions are going well, if so I guess the cafe at Shipham has been doing a roaring trade in dry toast, salads and decaf coffee.
My New Years Resolution is to update the psv blog on the day so here goes (don't worry, it won't last long)!
Only 7 fishing today which was unfortunate but some were fishing the Westerleigh winter series (or counting the leaves on the bottom of the lake ) and a few others were tied up on the Shiplate winter series.
As for the rest, well I guess they are in hibernation and waiting for the sun to come out but anyway despite the low turnout it was a case of quality over quantity with the cream of the club in evidence ( and Chris Gay )!
Anyway, I won't drag this out too much ..... Suffice to say that Chris Szakacs very kindly offered to do the pegging out and that was the most exciting part of his day on peg 1 (yes, that is the peg that used to win every match),  the rest of it was spent watching Rich Britton on peg 2 apply a liberal coating of batter.
I did feel sorry for Chris as he doesn't take defeat lightly and so packed up at the end and vanished with his tail between his legs.
Rich meanwhile had comfortably pissed the match with 16-5 of carp and skimmers caught on maggot over pinkies at 13m.
In second place was myself with 5-1 from peg 4 which was next to the bridge.
This consisted of 4 carplets and a goldfish all caught on punched bread in  a gap in the fat bank sedges.
Apart from a couple of dinks on a soft pellet I never had a bite elsewhere in the peg.
Lionel Legge was on the other side of the bridge which was also the golden peg ( and worth £32 ) but that was academic as he had one bite all day which he missed!
3rd on the day was Stevie Wynne up on peg 7 (far end of the lake).  Steve managed 2 carp for 4-12, again on punched bread.
Chris Gay could only manage 3-13 for 4th but lost a fish of about 5lbs which cost him dearly.
And Matt Taynton had one carp of 3-10 which he was quite proud of!
The Acorn Antiques ( over 50's and misunderstood ) faired a little better on Paddock.
Ray Bazeley took the honours from peg 11 with 31-14 and Bob Warren was 2nd with 19-ish from peg 40.
This I know as Bob lent me the slice of bread I used and stopped by after the match to see if I had any left!
Anyway, next week is at Sedges (tile) and there is plenty of room so let me know.
Until then .....

1 comment: